Victims of Crime Law.

See if you qualify for a U-Visa.

You Have Options.

As a nonimmigrant who has experienced any form of abuse due to falling victim to specific U.S. crimes, you may be considered for a U-Visa. In addition to having useful insight that can aid law enforcement, you must work with them willingly to put the offenders behind bars. 

If you are a crime victim below age 16, and you cannot pass on data due to having a disability, law enforcement can work with a parent, guardian, or “next friend” instead. The crime must have taken place on U.S. soil or went against U.S. regulations to be considered eligible. 

You do not need to be located in the U.S. to apply. If inadmissible in the U.S., you can fill out an Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant (Form I-192)

According to the USCIS, the crime may include:

  • Abduction
  • Abusive Sexual Contact
  • Blackmail
  • Domestic Violence
  • Extortion
  • False Imprisonment 
  • Felonious Assault
  • Female Genital Mutilation 
  • Fraud in Foreign Labor Contracting
  • Hostage
  • Incest
  • Involuntary Servitude 
  • Kidnapping
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Obstruction of Justice 
  • Peonage
  • Perjury
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual Assault
  • Sexual Exploitation
  • Slave Trade
  • Stalking
  • Torture
  • Trafficking
  • Witness Tampering
  • Unlawful Criminal Restraint 

If your petition is accepted, you will become a U nonimmigrant right away as determined by USCIS. If your petition application is approved while abroad, or you currently possess U nonimmigrant status, you must complete the U-Visa application in a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, according to the U.S. Department of State. Once you come into the U.S., you will instantly be considered a U nonimmigrant if awarded a U-Visa. 

Any individuals between the ages of 14 and 79 will need to arrange a visa interview at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. While it is not required to be done in a certain country, it can be challenging to gain a visa out of your country of origin. It is best to fill out your application as soon as possible since spots are limited.

While you wait, take the time to compile the necessary documentation. You will need a current passport without any U.S. traveling restrictions, that is good for a minimum of six months in the U.S. You will also need a Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) confirmation of completion, a receipt for your payment, a valid photo, and a Notice of Action (Form I-797) that shows your U nonimmigrant petition was accepted.

We realize the application process for a U-Visa can be intimidating and take a lot of time. Clearwater Law Group can help determine if you have a case for U nonimmigrant status. We will leave no stone unturned as we investigate your case and see if there is a chance you can remain on U.S. soil. Our team will also ensure all documents are filled out in the entirety. 

Let us take some weight off your shoulders during this difficult time and help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Our expert legal staff is here to help when you need us. 


Send Us A Message.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.